I just loveeee Blog Hoppin's Teacher Week! I try to link up every year because it's just so much fun!
1. I am super tall... 5'11. My whole family is tall... my little sister is the shortest one out of all of my cousins, and she is just over 5'9"!
I dated a few shorties in my time. Well, not short exactly, but definitely not "I can rock my cute new heels" tall. I was lucky to marry a guy who is four inches taller than me. I can rock my heels anytime I want. Here he is with my sister acting all tall and stuff.
2. I have lived in three states in my life, and they all start with the letter M. I was born in Michigan, moved to Maine when I was two, and went to college in Massachusetts and never left. I love all three of my M states, but Maine is my very favorite. This is one of our engagement photos taken by my very talented bff. I guess if I ever move again, it will have to be Montana or Missouri, ha!
3. I have always taught in an inner city school. I student taught in two different inner city schools, and got my first teaching job at the school where I currently work. I am so proud of my nine (yikes!) years of service to this amazing school, serving an amazing group of children.
Our school community is lucky enough to have families from countries all around the world - Cape Verde, Central and South America, the Caribbean, Vietnam, Bangladesh, Poland and more. I have students who have amazing vocabularies, and others who literally do not speak a word of English. It is challenging and fun and exciting and rewarding all at the same time. I wouldn't change it for the world
4. I have a big, crazy family who vacation together in Northern Michigan every August. They have been going to the exact same lake for over eighty years! My grandpa first went up to "our" lake as a little boy, and our family has been going ever since. I have been going since I was in my mom's belly, and haven't missed a year since. It is one of my very favorite places in the whole wide world.
This is Lake Michigan. Gorgeous, right?
And this is our amazing lake. This is an iPhone photo with no filters, no editing, no nothing. Isn't it stunning? It is so hard for me to leave this view behind every year, and even harder to leave my family.
5. I am NOT a great dancer, but I don't let it stop me! I love love love to bust a move. I love to dance at concerts, especially. I love a lot of music, from John Mayer to Juanes, but Beyonce is my very favorite performer. The best concert I've ever been to was Queen Bey two years ago in Boston. At one point we were only a few feet from the stage and I was lucky enough to take this video. I cried like a twelve year old girl and danced until my booty hurt. Ah.ma.zing.