On Monday, we had no students and were almost done packing up our classroom (EVERYTHING has to be put away and piled up for the summer). I decided that SOMETHING had to be done. I gathered all of the books onto a few tables and piled them into about 34234435 milk crates. I thought of as many themes and authors as I could, wrote them on index cards and got to work sorting. I added more themes and author study authors as I went along. I also created an area for authors in alphabetical order.
This is the gigantic mess when I first started sorting... so embarrassing!
Here are a few of the themed piles (in alphabetical order, of course)
Finally, I placed each pile of books into milk crates by theme and stored them away for the summer. This felt SO good!
In the fall, I hope to find a beautiful bookshelf like this one to store all of my newly organized books in. I also created a bunch of dividers on my computer to print out on cardstock, laminate and stick between the books. Yay for organization!